Saturday, April 20, 2013

What Running Teaches You About Life....

Even though I wasn’t in Boston, I know every time I lace up my shoes and head out the door for a run, it’ll be a different feeling. I know so far I have felt more appreciative of being able to go run, more confident in my ability to battle the upcoming mileage and more humbled when I have finished.
                                                                                                                         
After the events this week, it was nice to spend time this morning with other runners and show support to those affected by the events that took place at the Boston Marathon. The IMT Des Moines Marathon Running Club hosted a Solidarity Run to send support to those in Boston. Hundreds of runners, both avid and casual, showed up for the one- to six-mile trek through downtown Des Moines. After sharing a moment of silence and listening to the national anthem, we headed out on the six mile run. This was just the start of the mileage I needed to cover for the day. My running buddies and I decided after the six, we’d continue running to complete our 8 for the day (well, 10 miles for the overachiever!).

It’s fun to look back and see how far I’ve come with my running. I started out as a sprinter in high school who didn’t understand the serenity and joy it could bring to my life (and wouldn’t run more than 200m). I have enjoyed traveling the neighborhood with our puppy — Crosby pushing me to go further each time — knowing hoping it would wear him out more. The great and not so great runs, the friendships, the races and the PRs…..A few years later and many halfs and races in-between, I still enjoy running and the comfort it brings to my life. And I can confidently say, I always will. Running has provided me with support, amazing friendships, confidence, and a lot of perspective on life. A friend sent me this link recently and it's crazy how many ring true with what running has taught me and I am sure, many others along their journey….

17 Things Running Teaches You About Life 
  1. To be good at anything, you have to put in the time and effort no matter how talented you are.
  2. Your abilities and someone else’s abilities are not the same. Do the best that YOU can do.
  3. If winning is your objective, realize that you have to work 10 times harder than the next best person.
  4. No matter how hard you work and how prepared you are, disappointments will happen.
  5. The most gratifying experiences usually come as a result of enduring the most painful trials.
  6. To be great at anything, you have to risk failing terribly at it.
  7. A lot of people endure the same pains that you do.
  8. If you focus on putting one foot in front of the other, you will eventually reach the finish line.
  9. You cannot reach the finish line unless you start.
  10. The mind is a very powerful thing. If you can train your mind to keep going even when your body wants to quit, you can achieve some incredible things.
  11. Learning the difference between physically being unable to continue and giving up.
  12. Accepting that every day is different some days 5 miles is really easy, other days it feels like a cruel punishment.13. Pace yourself.
  13. You cannot give 100%, 100% of the time.
  14. Sometimes you need a day off, a day off from everything.
  15. The worst time, the slowest pace, the last person to finish the race is still better off than the person who refused to try.
  16. Even if you fall, even if you cannot finish today, you can and should pick yourself up and try again tomorrow.
Source: Thought Catalog 

No comments:

Post a Comment