Saturday, April 13, 2013

What gets you up and running?

What a beautiful Saturday! The weather around here (Iowa) has been crazy the last.....well, forever! Like many places in the Midwest, the weather can change at the drop of a hat. Earlier this week it was upper 60s, then with a chance of snow the following days. So, instead of letting the weather mess with our training plan for Dam to Dam, I met my running buddies at our favorite trial Friday night for a lovely 6 mile run. I don't think any of us wanted to be there! While most people were out for happy hour after a long week, our weekend began with running for a hour or so....in the cold, windy, and almost rainy weather. As gorgeous as it is today, I am still glad to have our long run of the week done. Maybe I will head out for a short one today and enjoy this weather while it's here.

To get me through the run I kept thinking and talking about the amazing dinner JD and I had planned. Nothing fancy, but something definitely delicious....homemade pancakes! I love pancakes! They used to be a 'special' weekend treat, but we haven't had them forever.
When I got home for the run, I was tired, cold, hungry....and did I mention cold? While I took a long, hot shower to warm up (which never happened), JD started on the pancakes. Here's the recipe he used:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup milk (a little less or more depending on the consistency you like)
  • 2 tablespoons oil
In a large measuring cup, whisk together dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix well. Heat griddle and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Pour batter onto hot griddle. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minuets or until the top starts bubbling, and flip.

Makes about 6 large pancakes.

Sometime we (JD) add blueberries or chocolate chips into the batter for smoothing a little more special.

We were both too hungry and devoured them right away. Sorry, no pictures this time! I was grateful to get take a backseat on cooking tonight and let JD do his thing. And it ended up being a great post-run meal.

The only thing that would have made this meal better would have been adding in my new obsession.....Blueberry Coffee from Dunkin Donuts. Now, I am not a coffee girl (usually); however, JD has me hooked on this stuff. I am hoping that if I drink this long enough, I will fall in love with the real thing.

Don't worry though, my first stop Saturday morning was ..... you guessed it, in line for coffee to start off my Saturday. 

What gets you up and running in the morning?

3 comments:

  1. I do my long runs on Friday nights too! Last night I was supposed to do 7 miles, but I had plans to meet some girlfriends for a happy hour yoga at 5:30. Sadly at 5:05 I was only at 5.5 miles, but I felt good about the quality of the run so I headed to yoga.

    I'm not a morning runner. At all. I WISH I was, but it takes me awhile to get up and going in the AM. What gets me instead is usually a training plan and training for a race. The disappointment of not being ready for race day would be a horrible feeling and I hope I never experience it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy hour yoga sounds fun! I am not a good morning runner either. Having two other people pushing me (all pushing each other) helps to get me up....That and just wanting it done and crossed off for the week!
      We typically do our long runs on Saturday mornings. That at least helps come race day! I agree without about a training plan....My first Dam to Dam I was not prepared and it was horrible! I would rather train than feel that again!

      Delete
  2. Due to your talking about pancakes, I had to make pancakes. :)

    ReplyDelete