Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Crockpot Pulled Pork Burritos (Paleo Friendly)


My intention when starting a blog this year was to share stories of my journey with organization, homemade meals, and DIY projects. As you have probably noticed, I have been on a huge fitness kick the entire summer (and now into fall). While this has cut back on time for DYI projects and organization around the house, I have still been working on many healthy recipes to share.
A couple months ago, JD and I decided to change our diet. The original thought came about when I was setting goals at the beginning of the year (although what I didn't know at the time was how well this goal would correlate with Crossfit which I wasn't even doing at the time). As I continue growing in fitness, I want to incorporate a more balanced approach to healthy eating. When you are dedicated to enhancing your life through fitness, it only makes sense improve the way you are eating too. So, my “no processed foods” goal came about….

Since I love cooking, trying new recipes, and making up my own, it seemed like an easy transition and a fun challenge. That was at the beginning of the year….Halfway through 2013, I still hadn’t taken the first steps to healthier eating.
Around the same time I was rethinking my goal and how to integrate this change into my lifestyle, I began working out at CrossfitFlyOver. As I previously mentioned, when I push toward fitness, it only makes me want to get more out of it and I knew I needed to change up our diet.

Through Crossfit, I was introduced to a diet that is based upon eating wholesome foods from the food groups our hunter-gatherer ancestors would have thrived on including: fresh meats (preferably grass-produced or free-ranging beef, pork, lamb, poultry, and game meat, if you can get it), fish, seafood, fresh fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, and healthful oils. After researching Paleo recipes, finding a few more blogs to follow, and modifying a few weeknight staples, I realized we could make Paleo meals that include WAY more than just chicken, veggies, and salads.
Crockpot Pork Burritos is one of our all-time favorite meals. It took very few modifications to turn this favorite in a Paleo-approved meal….And the end result is just as good!

Crockpot Pulled Pork Burritos (serves A LOT)

Ingredients:

  • Pork loin (around a 3lb boneless pork loin with the fat trimmed off)
  • Spices: chili powder, cumin, lemon pepper seasoning, salt/pepper
  • Peppers — green, red, yellow (if you like heat, add in some jalapenos)
  • Small white onion thinnly sliced
  • Salsa — prepare a homemade salsa or purchase a fresh salsa (jarred salsa)
  • Head of lettuce (tortilla shells)
  • Monterrey jack cheese
  • Toppings: serve with guacamole, sliced avocado, tomoates or green onion
Place the pork loin in your crockpot. Combine spices with about 1 cup of water and poor the mixture over the pork loin. Next, add in the salsa and peppers. Cook for 6-8 hours on low in a crockpot.

For the non-Paleo recipe, try the crossed out ingredients listed above.
 
At some point (I make no gurantees when), I will get better at providing measurements, real instructions, and appetizing photos. I can tell you though, any recipe I post will be simple, easy to modify, and absolutely delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment